For peace of mind always carry an emergency kit in your vehicle. Your emergency kit should include:
- A first aid kit
- Battery jump leads
- A torch and spare batteries
- A map for unplanned diversions
- A blanket
- A reflective warning sign
In winter you should also take:
- An ice scraper and de-icer
- A shovel for snow
- Warm clothes, boots and a blanket
- Some food and a warm drink in a flask
In winter you should pay extra attention to planning your journey. Make sure your vehicle's ready for a journey in poor weather, and consider fitting winter tyres or snow socks to your vehicle.
At any time of year, think about carrying one or more ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact numbers on your mobile phone or in your wallet or purse. This means that if they need to, emergency responders like paramedics can contact people who know you, and potentially get important medical information, as quickly as possible.