Getting ready for severe weather at home is easy. Just make a household plan and collect together the items for an emergency kit that will be essential to you and your family.
Power cuts and loss of other utilities usually happen suddenly and with little warning. See Ready Scotland's advice on preparing for the
loss of utilities.
Weather proof your home
Check the terms of your household insurance policies, and find out what cover you have for risks such as flood or storm damage, or for the costs of temporary accommodation if your home is not habitable. Consider taking out insurance if you don't have any.
- Have a shovel and a supply of grit to keep any important pathways clear of snow or ice
Know how to turn off your electricity supply at the mains.
- Know where your stop valve is and how to turn off your water.
- Make your home energy-efficient. Call the Scottish Government's Home Energy Scotland Hotline on 0808 808 2282.
- If you need to evacuate your home for any reason (and if it's safe and time permits) turn off the water and electricity, grab your emergency kit, and secure your premises.
- Think about what else is important for you and your family to get by during an emergency e.g. pet supplies, food supplies and formula/baby food.
- LP gas users can get advice on stocking up this winter from the UKLPG website.
See further advice on: